Skip to main content

Intrastate Licenses for Private Motor Carriers

Who must obtain an Intrastate Private Motor Carrier License? Persons transporting their own goods (property) within the state of Oklahoma are required to obtain an Intrastate Private Motor Carrier License if they are using vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW), Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR), or gross weight over 26,000 pounds.

What is the difference between intrastate and interstate? "Intra" means within the state. "Inter" means between or across states. If a shipment is picked up and delivered within Oklahoma, it is typically intrastate transportation. If a shipment crosses state lines, it is typically interstate transportation.

What credential is issued? You will receive an Intrastate Private Motor Carrier License and make a copy of this license for each vehicle to be operated under the license. (The original is to be kept in your files.) In addition, during the application process, you must purchase a stamp (identification device) for each vehicle that will be operated under the license. A stamp is to be placed on a copy of the license and carried in each vehicle that will be operated under the license. The cost is $7.00 per stamp. In accordance with federal law, interstate carriers are not required to carry a copy of the license in each vehicle.

What is the term of the license? Intrastate licenses are initially issued for a period of one year and must be renewed. At renewal time, you may choose to renew for 1, 2, or 3 years. Each year, you must purchase a stamp for each vehicle you intend to operate under the license. Even if you choose to renew for 2 or 3 years at a time, you must renew the stamps annually. (Note: Stamp renewal requires less paperwork than does a license renewal.) If you additionally operate in interstate commerce, you do not have to renew your Intrastate Private Motor Carrier License, but you are subject to UCR regulations.

To obtain additional stamps during the license year, use the TDF 16 Application. You may also use the TDF16 Application to order additional identification devices during any license year.

To renew your identification devices for the next license year, use the TDF 16M Form.

What types of Intrastate Private Motor Carrier Licenses are available? Licenses are issued in accordance with the type of operations the motor carrier intends to conduct, such as property, deleterious substances, and/or hazardous materials. Each license category has specific liability insurance limits associated with it. If you apply for and receive a license with the highest insurance limit within that category, you can transport commodities with lesser insurance limits within that same category.

What types of transportation can be conducted under the various types of licenses?

  • Example: You apply for and receive a license to carry deleterious substances, along with a Deleterious Substances Transport Permit. You may not transport property or hazardous materials, because those items are not in the same category as deleterious substances. Even if the liability insurance limit for property or hazardous materials is equal to or less than the amount required for transporting deleterious substances, you may not transport property or hazardous materials, because they are in a different category than deleterious substances.

In what area may the holder of this license operate? Intrastate licenses for private motor carriers, along with intrastate licenses for for-hire carriers, are issued for statewide operations.

May the holder of an intrastate private motor carrier use that license to haul for hire? No. If you decide you want to start hauling for hire, you must obtain an Intrastate For-Hire Motor Carrier License.

What are the insurance requirements? Through the license process, you will file and maintain continuous proof of proper liability insurance on file to protect the public. Insurance limits are based upon the type of carrier operations. Corporation Commission Rule OAC 165:30-15-6 addresses the intrastate private motor carrier insurance requirements.

What other requirements are there?

  • You must have an active USDOT Number.
  • You must obtain a current rule book, ensure safety regulations are followed, and provide that your operations prevent unsafe loading or overloading of vehicles on roadways.
  • If you purchase or replace vehicles during the year, you may need to purchase an additional stamp (identification device) to ensure you have one for each vehicle. To order additional stamps, use the TDF 16 Application.
  • If you intend to transport deleterious substances or hazardous waste, additional permits are required.

What if you need to conduct intrastate operations that are outside the scope of your current license? If the new operations are shown on your TDF1 Application, simply file another TDF1 Application and write "UPGRADE" at the top of the application. The fee is $100, but if you file this TDF1 Upgrade Application in conjunction with a TDF2 Application for Renewal of Intrastate Motor Carrier License, the $100 fee covers both your upgrade and your renewal. Once your application has been approved, a new license will be issued. You can simply staple a copy of your new license to the old, stamped license carried in each vehicle for the duration of the license year. If your insurance limit changes, a new insurance liability insurance filing is required.

If the new operations are not shown on the TDF1 Application, please call Motor Carrier Licensing to discuss.


Last Modified on Sep 23, 2021
Back to Top