Skip to main content

High School Equivalency (HSE) Testing

Oklahoma is currently offering the use of two high school equivalency tests (GED® and HiSET®). Those who pass one of the two approved tests will receive the state’s official high school equivalency diploma, a credential issued by the Oklahoma Department of Education.

Test takers must meet the following criteria:

  • Not currently enrolled in high school
  • Not graduated from high school
  • At least 16 years old
  • If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you must complete the AEFL Release Form for Minors and submit the completed form to the test center before scheduling your exam.

You do NOT have to be a resident of Oklahoma to take the HiSET® or GED® exam.

Candidates are required to provide one valid form of identification (“ID”). The ID must be government issued and non-expired. It must also include the Candidate’s name, date of birth, signature, and photograph. The following are acceptable forms of identification: 

  • Passport
  • Driver’s license
  • Learner’s permit
  • National/state/country identification card

To schedule an exam, you will need to visit your selected test's website. To schedule:

  • Create/log into your account.
  • Select whether you’ll test at a test center or with online proctoring.
  • Choose which test subjects you’ll be taking.
  • Pick a day and time that works for you.
  • Pay for the test online using a credit or debit card.

Payment for the test(s) must be made online at time of registration.

Any Oklahoma Resident who has been admitted to any accredited Oklahoma college or university may be awarded a high school diploma by the State Department of Education within this state, provided that such person has successfully completed at least thirty (30) hours of college work at an accredited college or university.

For more information, contact the Oklahoma Department of Education, Accreditation Standards division at (405) 521-3335.

If you are considering taking the GED® or HiSET® test, please be aware of the following:

  • Although some high school equivalency test preparation programs may issue “diplomas or certificates” demonstrating program completion, these documents ARE NOT official Oklahoma high school equivalency credentials.
  • The Oklahoma Department of Education (OSDE) only authorizes the companies offering the GED® or HiSET® to issue an Oklahoma High School Equivalency Certificate or Official Transcript.
  • There are many legitimate, fee-based, online and classroom high school equivalency test preparation programs. However, before enrolling and spending money for these courses, we recommend taking advantage of programs available through an approved Oklahoma Adult Education & Family Literacy provider.
Last Modified on Dec 08, 2022
Back to Top