OHCA Policies and Rules
317:30-5-614. Billing instructions
The AA is responsible for entering the correct anesthesia procedure code on the appropriate claim form. Anesthesia codes from the Physicians' Current Procedural Terminology or Medicare assigned codes should be used.
(1) Payment is made only for the major procedure during an operative session.
(2) All anesthesia procedure codes must have a modifier. Without the modifier, the claim will be denied. Payment is made to an AA for services provided under the direct supervision of a licensed anesthesiologist and is limited to 50% of the physician allowable using modifier QX.
(3) Certain codes in the Medicine section of the CPT are used to identify extraordinary anesthesia services. Additional payment can be made when applicable for extremes of age, total body hypothermia and controlled hypertension.
(4) All other qualifying circumstances, i.e., physical status, emergency, etc., have been structured into the total allowable for the procedure.
(5) Hypothermia total body or regional is not covered unless medical necessity is documented and approved through review by the Authority's Medical Consultants.
(6) Payment for placement of central venous catheter, injection of anesthesia substance or similar procedures will be made only when the procedure is distinctly separate from the anesthesia procedure.
Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.