WHO WE ARE
The Oklahoma Health Care Authority administers the SoonerCare (Oklahoma Medicaid) and Insure Oklahoma programs. The agency balances this fiscal responsibility with two, equally important goals:
- Assuring that state-purchased health care meets acceptable standards of care;
- Ensuring that citizens of Oklahoma who rely on state-purchased health care are served in a progressive and positive system
INSURE OKLAHOMA HISTORY
In April 2004, Senate Bill 1546 authorized the Oklahoma Health Care Authority to develop a program assisting employees of small businesses, 19 to 64 years of age with either (1) a portion of their private health plan premiums (Employer Sponsored Insurance), or (2) the purchase of a state sponsored health plan operated under the state Medicaid program (Individual Plan).
In November 2004, the Oklahoma Health Care Initiative created the funding mechanism to make a program like this possible. SQ 713, passed by a vote of Oklahomans, increased the sales tax on tobacco products. A portion of these revenues were designated to be used to fund the new health program.
The joint effort of Governor Brad Henry, the State Legislature, OHCA, and other committed organizations resulted in the Oklahoma Employer/Employee Partnership for Insurance Coverage (Insure Oklahoma/O-EPIC) program. Insure Oklahoma is designed and intended to assist in the purchase of health coverage.
Please visit the Data and Reports page for a complete list of Fast Facts and other research and statistical information.
To purchase state and federally funded health care in the most efficient and comprehensive manner possible and to study and recommend strategies for optimizing the accessibility and quality of health care.
Our vision is for Oklahomans to enjoy optimal health status through having access to quality healthcare regardless of their ability to pay.
Values and Behaviors
- OHCA/Insure Oklahoma staff will operate as members of the same team, with a common mission, and each with a unique contribution to make our success.
- OHCA/Insure Oklahoma will be open to new ways of working together.
- OHCA/Insure Oklahoma will use qualitative and quantitative data to guide and evaluate our actions and improve our performance in a purposeful way over time.