Skip to main content

Call the helpline at 800-987-7767, option 5, and talk to choice counselors to change your SoonerSelect health plan!

OHCA Policies and Rules

317:30-5-77. Brand necessary certification

[Revised 09-12-14]

(a) When a product is available in both a brand and generic form, a prior authorization is required before the branded product may be dispensed.  The prescribing provider must certify the brand name drug product is medically necessary for the well being of the patient, otherwise a generic must be substituted for the name brand product.

(1) The certification must be written in the physician's or other prescribing provider's handwriting.

(2) Certification must be written directly on the prescription blank or on a separate sheet which is attached to the original prescription.

(3) A standard phrase indicating the need for a specific brand is required.  The OHCA recommends use of the phrase "Brand Necessary".

(4) It is unacceptable to use a printed box on the prescription blank that could be checked by the physician to indicate brand necessary, or to use a hand-written statement that is transferred to a rubber stamp and then stamped onto the prescription blank.

(5) If a physician phones a prescription to the pharmacy and indicates the need for a specific brand, the physician should be informed of the need for a handwritten certification.  The pharmacy can either request that the certification document be given to the patient who then delivers it to the pharmacy upon receipt of the prescription, or request the physician send the certification through the mail.

(b) The Brand Necessary Certification applies to State Maximum Allowable Cost (SMAC) products.

(c) For certain narrow therapeutic index drugs, a prior authorization will not be required.  The DUR Board will select and maintain the list of narrow therapeutic index drugs.

(d) Indian Health Services, Tribal Programs, and Urban Indian Clinics (I/T/U) facilities are exempt from prior authorization requirements for brand name drugs.

Disclaimer. The OHCA rules found on this Web site are unofficial. The official rules are published by the Oklahoma Secretary of State Office of Administrative Rules as Title 317 of the Oklahoma Administrative Code. To order an official copy of these rules, contact the Office of Administrative Rules at (405) 521-4911.