Oklahoma Archives Month
American Archives Month is celebrated in many states across the nation every October. The Oklahoma State Archives recognizes Oklahoma Archives Month as an opportunity to advocate for the value of Oklahoma’s archives. The theme for Archives Month at the Oklahoma State Archives is Images of Oklahoma.
Oklahoma has participated thanks to sponsorship by the Oklahoma Historical Records Advisory Board, Oklahoma Department of Libraries, Oklahoma Historical Society, and Oklahoma Museums Association with funding provided by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
About Archives Month and Participation
Participation in archives month activities offers many benefits to your organization. Through our combined efforts we will be able to:
- Increase the general awareness of archival materials and institutions,
- Focus attention upon materials in archival centers,
- Encourage persons and organizations with records of enduring value to properly preserve those materials, and
- Strengthen ties with regular archives users while introducing new and potential users to archives
Archives Month is a great opportunity to showcase your collection. Some suggested ideas that encompass a variety of budgets and staff participation, include: Display an Archives Month poster. Previous posters are available for download in a full-size or scaled-down version.
- Hold an open house and provide tours through your facility highlighting unique materials, or arrange for public visits to nearby repositories.
- Hold a lunchtime reception with a featured speaker on the importance of preserving archival records.
- Send press releases to local media, including a description of your materials; an article using research from your collection; or photographs of interesting items in your collection.
- Contact local government officials, organizations, and educators informing them of Archives Month. Offer to speak about your collection and what resources in your collection could be useful to them.
- Create a display or website, exhibiting some of the unique materials in your collection.
Contact Archives@Libraries.OK.Gov for more information.