Skip to main content

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has extended the REAL ID full enforcement date to May 7, 2025.


All driver license offices now operated by Service Oklahoma (formerly operated by the Department of Public Safety and tag agents) continue to be operational and processing business as usual. Visit for more information.

Commercial Driver License Restrictions

  1. What are Restriction Codes?

  2. Do I have to do a pre-trip to remove a restriction?

    • If a drive test is required then you must get a permit, hold it for the full 14 days, and then do all three parts of the CDL Skills Test. The only exception to this is for removing the restriction E-automatic transmission. If you are just removing the restriction E and not making any other changes to the current CDL license, then you will not have to do the pre-trip inspection. You will do the basic control skills and the road test only.

  3. Do I need to obtain a Commercial Learner Permit if I am removing a restriction?

    • If the restriction you are removing requires a drive test, yes, you will be required to obtain a CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) first and hold it for a minimum of 14 days before you are eligible for the skills test to remove said restriction.

*A Commercial License Permit (CLP) holder with a S endorsement is prohibited from operating a school bus with passengers, other than Federal/Federal/State auditors and inspectors, test examiners, other trainees, and the CDL holder accompanying the CLP holder as prescribed by CFR 383.25(a)(1) of this part.

Last Modified on Oct 15, 2020
Back to Top