Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:75-11-238. Assigned child welfare (CW) specialist general responsibilities for children placed in community-based residential care (CBRC)

Revised 9-15-16

     The assigned CW specialist has general responsibilities for children in Oklahoma Department of Human Services custody placed in any CBRC placement.  • 1 & 2


Revised 6-13-22

1.  Assigned child welfare (CW) specialist role.

(1) The assigned CW specialist's role and responsibilities for a child in Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) custody, in out-of-home placement are defined in Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:75-6-31 and 340:75-11-233 Instructions to Staff (ITS).

(2) The assignment of a CW facility liaison to the contracted community-based residential care (CBRC) placement provider does not diminish the assigned CW specialist's role and responsibilities for a child in OKDHS custody in contracted CBRC placement, such as:

(A) intensive treatment services;

(B) substance use or abuse treatment services;

(C) specialized community homes;

(D) family-style living programs and non-funded Level B placements;

(E) residential maternity services placements;

(F) Level C qualified residential treatment programs (QRTP);

(G) Level D placements;

(H) Level D+ QRTP; and

(I) Level E QRTP, per OAC 340:75-11-364;

(i) Level E+ QRTP; and

(ii) Level E enhanced QRTP.

2.     Assigned CW specialist responsibilities.  The assigned CW specialist is responsible for:

(1) accurately completing and, at the time of placement, providing Form 04KI010E, Placement Worksheet, to the placement provider.  Form 04KI010E is required for placing a child in CBRC placement as the form includes the history and current situations of the child's family, and the child's physical and behavioral health status, psychological needs, medical needs, education, and placement factors;

(2) making the request for the contracted CBRC placement in the child's KIDS Placement Recommendation screen.  The CW supervisor approves this request, within five-calendar days of the assigned CW specialist's and CW supervisor's decision that contracted CBRC placement or services are necessary to meet the child's treatment needs;

(3) providing the placement provider, copies of:

(A) completed Form 04KI004E, Placement Provider Information;

(B) completed Form 04KI005E, Child's Individualized Service Plan (ISP);

(C) completed Form 04KI006E, Strengths and Needs Assessment, or Form 04KI007E, CPS Family Assessment Report;

(D) completed Form 04KI008E, Treatment Plan, or Form 04KI012E, Individualized Service Plan (ISP), as applicable;

(E) completed Form 04FC011E, Placement Agreement for Out-of-Home Care;

(F) child's birth certificate;

(G) immunization records;

(H) court order for OKDHS custody;

(I) most recent psychological evaluation;

(J) current social history;

(K) Social Security number or Form SS-5, Application for Social Security Card;

(L) medical card or Form 04KI002E, Title IV-E Eligibility Determination;

(M) school records, including Individual Education Programs, or the name and address of the last school attended; and

(N) successful adulthood assessment when the child is 14 years of age and older;

(4) transporting the child for admission with:

(A) clothing or a clothing authorization when the child does not have suitable clothing for seven-calendar days.  Emergency clothing authorizations for a child placed in a non-funded CBRC placement or family-style living program may be provided every 90-calendar days, per OAC 340:75-13-45; and

(B) a 30-calendar day supply of medications, in labeled prescription containers with instructions, currently prescribed for the child to allow for uninterrupted treatment until alternate follow-up medical care is received.  The assigned CW specialist documents the receipt and release of all medication on Form 04MP012E, Receipt and Release of Prescription and Over-the-Counter Medication(s), per OAC 340:75-14-3 ITS # 10 (A);

(5) providing the placement provider with input into the development, review, or revision of the child's individualized treatment plan that is completed by the placement provider within 30-calendar days of placement.  Review of the contractor's individualized treatment plan is required at least once every 90-calendar days or more frequently as determined by the child's treatment needs;

(6) notifying Child Welfare Services (CWS) Specialized Placements and Partnerships Unit (SPPU) when the child is placed with the contractor;

(7) documenting the child's placement in KIDS Placement screens;

(8) providing completed 04KI006E, Change in Placement, to the court, child's attorney, and assistant district attorney, per OAC 340:75-6-86 when there is a change in the child's living arrangements;

(9) contacting the child and placement provider, per OAC 340:75‑6-48;

(10) advising the placement provider of the local post adjudication review board review meetings, dates and times of court hearings, and any case staffing requiring the provider's input, or possible attendance;

(11) entering the placement end date in KIDS Placement screens, obtaining the child's next placement, and transporting the child for immediate interview and placement after the contractor receives the placement referral;

(12) developing the child's discharge plan and attending discharge staffing with at least a 48-hour notice from the provider;

(13) approving and arranging visitation, including transporting and supervising the visit, when necessary;

(14) initiating a referral for the child likely to meet the medical necessity criteria for acute or residential treatment care (RTC);

(15) locating an inpatient facility, when the child requires acute or RTC inpatient treatment;

(16) when the child requires transportation by law enforcement officials, arranging transportation by the county of jurisdiction or the county of placement Sheriff's office.  The court may issue an order, per Section 1-8-107 of Title 10A of the Oklahoma Statutes, directing the county sheriff, or designee, of the county where the court is located to provide transportation for a child who is the subject of a deprived proceeding, regardless of where the child is placed within the state, for the purposes of transferring the child from:

(A) his or her current placement to a designated inpatient treatment facility;

(B) the inpatient treatment facility to a court hearing;

(C) an out-of-county placement to court for hearing and returning the child back to the out-of-county placement; and

(D) any location to placement when requested by OKDHS for the purpose of ensuring the safekeeping of the child and the OKDHS employee;

(17) providing the sheriff's office with the mailing address to CWS SPPU program staff to file the claim for mileage, meals, and hourly wage;

(18) submitting Form 23CO106E, Authority to Purchase, to CWS SPPU program staff with all necessary identifying information for reimbursement to the sheriff's office for transportation services; and

(19) reporting any earned income of the child to the assigned custody specialist on Form 08MP013E, Information/Referral for Other Services.

Back to Top