Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:75-11-233. Placement of children into more restrictive community-based residential care (CBRC) placements

Revised 9-15-2021

(a) Sections 1-1-102 and 1-7-103 of Title 10A of the Oklahoma Statutes require children in Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) custody be served in the least restrictive setting that meets each child's treatment needs in the closest geographic proximity as possible to the child's home, per Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:75-6-85.  • 1

(b) CBRC placements are more restrictive placement settings than the child's own home, relative's home, or foster family home.  The request and referral for the placement of a child in OKDHS custody in a CBRC placement is made through the Child Welfare Services (CWS) Specialized Placements and Partnerships Unit (SPPU).  • 2 & 3

(c) Children 12 years of age and younger in OKDHS custody are not placed in CBRC placements, except when maintaining sibling groups together in placement, maintaining a OKDHS custody parent and child together in placement, or in CBRC placements that provide services to a younger age population due to the child's treatment needs, when an exception is received.

(d) A child in OKDHS custody residing in a CBRC placement on his or her 18th birthday may receive voluntary care in his or her CBRC placement after 18 years of age per OAC 340:75-6-110.  • 3

(e) The child's case assignment remains in the county of jurisdiction.  • 4

(f) CBRC placements must:

(1) be licensed by OKDHS, or another approved licensing body, and are either operated by, or under formal contract with OKDHS; and

(2) provide appropriate treatment interventions for children that improve the child's functioning level, resulting in a successful discharge to a less restrictive placement, such as his or her own home, relative home, foster family home, therapeutic foster care, adoptive home, or successful adulthood.  • 4

(g) CBRC placements are subject to the availability of funds in the OKDHS budget.  CWS SPPU maintains the waiting list for children requiring CBRC placements when the need for CBRC exceeds the availability of CBRC resources.  • 2.


Revised 9-16-21

1.  Assessing a child for placement.  The assigned child welfare (CW) specialist and CW supervisor assess each child's treatment needs, per Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:75-6-85.  When the child's treatment needs can no longer be met in the child's own home, kinship home, relative home, or resource family home and the child does not meet the medical necessity criteria for inpatient psychiatric treatment, the assigned CW: 

(1) specialist requests treatment for the child in a community-based residential care (CBRC) placement;

(2) specialist makes the placement request on KIDS Placement Recommendation screen after all information on Form 04KI010E, Placement Worksheet, on KIDS was completed;

(3) specialist and CW supervisor ensure Form 04KI010E is complete prior to making the placement request on KIDS or the placement request will be denied by the Child Welfare Services (CWS) Specialized Placements and Partnerships Unit (SPPU) and the child will neither be referred nor placed on the placement waiting list;

(4) specialist and CW supervisor ensure the placement packet, per OAC 340:75-11-238 Instructions to Staff # 2(3), is completed on KIDS at the time of the placement request to allow the assigned CW specialist to make a timely placement when the placement is identified and the referral made; and

(5) supervisor approves the placement on KIDS within five-business days of the decision for CBRC placement.

2.  Authorization of a placement request.  CWS SPPU:

(1) completes the referral and authorizes the placement of a child in Oklahoma Human Services or tribal custody in a more restrictive CBRC placement.

(A) Exceptions to referral and authorization by CWS SPPU are:

(i) residential intensive treatment services (ITS), 72-hour short-term crisis stabilization services;

(ii) non-funded family- style living programs; and

(iii) funded and non-funded residential maternity services.

(B) Authorization and referral to (A)(i) through (iii) of this paragraph are made by the respective CW facility liaison after inquiry from and consultation with the facility or assigned CW specialist.

(C) When a qualified residential treatment program is considered for a child's placement, CWS SPPU requests a Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths assessment of the child is made by a qualified individual; and

(2) maintains the waiting list of children for CBRC placements when the need exceeds available resources.

3. Voluntary care.  The assigned CW specialist and CW supervisor determine if the youth in CBRC placement is eligible for voluntary care over 18 years of age, and when the eligible youth requests voluntary care, the assigned CW specialist completes requirements, per OAC 340:75-6-110

4Case assignment and responsibility.  The assigned CW specialist retains assignment of the child's case record and is responsible for the child's permanency plan, per OAC 340:75-6-31 and 340:75-6-85.

Back to Top