Attend the Oklahoma Adult Education & Literacy Conference: FOCUS
The Adult Education & Literacy Conference is the premier educational and networking event in Oklahoma for individuals involved in working with adult literacy. It will be held October 30-31, 2023, at the Meridian Technology Center, South Campus in Guthrie. Pre-Conference will kick off on Sunday, October 29 with an awards program to celebrate adult learners.
“Literacy unlocks the door to learning throughout life, is essential to development and health, and opens the way for democratic participation and active citizenship.”
– Kofi Annan, seventh Secretary-General of the United Nations
Literacy—The ability to understand, interpret, create, communicate, and compute using printed and written materials. A continuum of learning that enables individuals to achieve goals, develop knowledge and potential, and participate fully in society. (from the United National Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization)
As our world relies more and more on technology, and society is bombarded with text in a wide array of formats, the ability to read is more critical than ever. Children who fall behind when learning to read often become adults with literacy problems. Learning to read as an adult can be a challenging process due to work, family, and other pressing commitment—however, the rewards can be life changing. As one adult learner wrote, “I’ve changed for the better and I’ve come a long way. I read with confidence. I feel better about myself. I see myself as a different person, still being challenged, but now working through it, not running away like before.”
ODL partners with libraries, non-profits and other organizations across Oklahoma to promote literacy.
The mission of the ODL's Literacy Resource Office is to provide leadership, resources, training, and information to Oklahoma’s library and community-based literacy network.
The Oklahoma Department of Libraries has championed the cause of adult literacy since 1983. ODL’s Literacy Resource Office (LRO) provides resources, leadership, and technical assistance to library and community-based literacy programs throughout the state. Additionally, LRO coordinates several statewide literacy initiatives.
Leslie brings more than thirty years of experience to the Literacy Resource Office (LRO) as a tutor, trainer, program developer, and public speaker. Over the years she has served on state and national literacy task forces, committees, advisory boards, and steering committees, including three terms as president of the Oklahoma Literacy Coalition. Leslie is responsible for federal literacy projects, and oversees a statewide health literacy project. She offers technical assistance to literacy boards, program directors, and trainers. Her skills in developing partnerships and her success in grant writing benefit literacy programs throughout Oklahoma.
March 2: Read Across America Day
Read Across Oklahoma
Annual Observance of National Financial Literacy Month
Adult Education & Family Literacy Week
National Volunteer Week
Annual Observance of National Literacy Month
September 8: Annual Observance International Literacy Day
Annual Observance of Health Literacy Month
Annual Observance of LD Awareness Month
Annual Observance of Family Literacy Month
November 1: National Family Literacy Day
Manuals, Handbooks, and Resources
- Learner posters | PDFs 18"x24" or 11"x17"
- Tutor poster | PDFs 18"x24" or 11"x17"
- English as a Second Language poster | PDFs 18"x24" or 11"x17"
- Find your local literacy program
- Oklahoma Literacy Coalition
- Oklahoma City Metro Literacy Coalition
- High School Equivalency Testing
- Oklahoma Educational Indicators Program
- Oklahoma State Assessment of Adult Literacy 2003 (PDF)
- Learning Disabilities Association of America
- Oklahoma HiSET Exam Requirements
- GED Testing Service
- International Literacy Association
- National Center for Families Learning
- Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC)
- U.S. Department of Education
ESL/ ELL/ Citizenship
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- USA Learns Citizenship
- Activities for ESL/EFL Students
- Dave's ESL Cafe—Resources for ESL tutors and students
- English As 2nd Language
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
Instructional Resources for Tutors
- Using Pictures to Teach English: They are Worth a Thousand Words!
- ABC Fast Phonics
- Make Beliefs Comix
- ProLiteracy Education Network
- LD Online— The interactive guide for learning disabilities for parents, teachers, and children
To contact staff of the Literacy Resource Office, go to ODL's Office & Staff Listing.