Skip to main content

Do you have a child support order and have been recently called up for military duty?

Child Support Services realizes that under Operation Enduring Freedom many of you have been called to active duty, both at home and abroad. First and foremost, we join those who thank you for your service to our country.

We also realize that some of you may be involved with Child Support Services as either a custodial parent or noncustodial parent. You may have an order to receive child support, or you may be ordered to pay support for your children.

The following information is provided to address Child Support policies that may be affected by your call to active duty.

If you have been called to active duty, please notify CSS to report the change in address and/or employment status by calling 1-800-522-2922.

If you have a child support hearing scheduled, CSS can try to change the date or let the court or hearing officer know your service status. Call 1-800-522-2922 to make the request.

Remember, if you owe $2,500 or more past due support, your passport will be withheld until you make arrangements with CSS to pay it off.

Support Order Modification
If you have experienced a change in income as a result of being called to active duty, you may request a review of your support order amount. Contact us at 1-800-522-2922 for more information.

  • To enroll the child of a military service member for medical entitlements choose one of the following three methods:
    • The service member may enroll the child (this is the quickest and easiest)
    • The custodial parent may go to the nearest military base or enrollment site and present the appropriate documents to the verifying officer
    • The custodial parent may begin enrollment by mail and come in later to sign the paperwork. 

  • Locate the nearest enrollment site or military installation by calling the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Report System (DEERS) telephone center help line Monday through Friday between 9:30 a.m. and 6 p.m. (EST) at 1-800-538-9552.
  • Contact the nearest facility and request a DD-1172 (ID card/enrollment) form and any other necessary forms to enroll the child(ren) in DEERS. Each branch of the service may have slightly different procedures.
  • Contact your nearest military facility to determine what documents are required to register. This may vary by branch of service and location.