Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) in partnership with the child care community have been working hard to make the Quality Rating and Improvement System (QRIS) better to support you in offering the highest quality in early childhood care! Through QRIS, you will receive the tools and support to help you improve the care and education you provide, raise the professional development level of your staff and inform families about the importance of the quality care you give.
Child care providers that choose to apply or reapply for their Stars rating will be able to advertise their level of quality to families looking for child care and be rewarded benefits that they can use to improve their rating.
Every child care provider that is a 2 Star Level or higher will receive the following:
Participating providers will receive an increase in subsidy rates when they improve their Stars quality rating.
- State-funded child care benefits help provide high-quality care for children while their parents are at work or school. They may also be provided to help prevent abuse, neglect, or exploitation. The funds are paid directly to providers by the state. In order to receive funding, programs must participate in the QRIS program. With each Stars level the funding increases.
Providers will receive a one-time bonus between $2,500 and $15,000 dependent upon their Stars level assignment.
- Providers will receive a Stars bonus payment depending on their Stars level assignment. If providers choose to increase their Stars level by working with a child care coach or business consultant they will receive the additional bonus payment for their new Stars level once it is approved. With this financial incentive programs are able to purchase quality resources to support their program.
***This incentive expires on December 31st, 2022
Programs will receive $700 worth of Lakeshore Learning kits if they apply before Nov. 30, 2022.
- Each program that applies for QRIS will receive a Lakeshore Learning Company kit (kit sizes based on program size). Once a program has been assigned a Stars level they will receive up to $300 worth of funds to shop online and select resources of their choice.
***This incentive expires on Dec. 31, 2022
Coaches will help programs create personalized goals and action plans to improve quality.
- If a program wants to increase its star level it may decide to work with a quality coach. Quality coaches will help programs create personalized goals and action plans to improve quality and increase their Stars. This will also allow programs to receive an additional financial incentive Stars bonus.
Business consultants will help providers with business management.
- Business consultants help increase the quality and efficiency of child care programs that start with a rating of 1-3 Stars. They will provide a great deal of support for child care owners and directors through coaching and professional development.
Eligible providers may receive a three-year paid contract for Bright Wheel software.
- Programs that start with a Stars rating 1-3 and choose to work with a business coach will be able to receive a three-year paid contract of Bright Wheel software.
***For programs that meet the qualifications this incentive expires on December 31st, 2022
Participating providers will have access to a variety of professional development and networking opportunities.
All providers will receive a certificate to display their Stars rating at their location.
- All providers will receive a certificate to display their Stars rating along with a yard sign.
Child care providers who have not applied for their rating through the new 5-star rating system will need to reapply with a specific Stars level in mind to receive benefits. Applicants should consider the following criteria when deciding what Stars level to apply for: