Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:75-13-62. Medical services to children in own home

Revised 9-15-20

(a) The child welfare (CW) specialist and parent(s) have a joint responsibility to:

(1) ensure the medical needs of the child in Oklahoma Department of Human Services (DHS)custody are met; and

(2) share all information to maximize the child's health and well-being.

(b) The parent(s) is responsible for his or her child's medical expenses when the child resides with the parent(s), regardless of legal custody.

(1) The CW specialist informs the parent(s) of available medical resources and refers the parent(s) to SoonerCare to apply for medical assistance.Application for children receiving Supplemental Security Income must be made in the local DHS office.

(2) At the time the parent(s) applies for medical assistance, the parent(s) must notify the person taking the application of the child's legal status to ensure proper coding in the medical case.

(3) If the family qualifies for medical assistance, the child in DHS or tribal custody remains fee-for-service on the medical case until the child is released from DHSor tribal custody.

(4) The child in his or her own home eligible for a medical card is eligible for Early Periodic, Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment (EPSDT) services.Eligibility, based on the parent(s)' income and resources, varies with the specific circumstances of each family.

Back to Top