Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:75-1-13. Requests for assistance from other states

Revised 7-1-13

    Oklahoma Department of Human Services Child Welfare Services provides assistance to other state child welfare agencies requesting interviews and preventive or follow-up services for children and families who are currently residing in the State of Oklahoma.  • 1


Revised 7-1-13

1.(a) Out-of-town inquiry (OTI) procedures.

(1) When the Abuse and Neglect Hotline or the district office receives an OTI, an Other Workload Request is entered into the KIDS system and assigned within two business days unless the requesting agency requests immediate contact.If an OTI is received by a Child Welfare Services (CWS) program section, the request is forwarded to the district where the family resides.

(2) The child welfare (CW) specialist contacts the family within seven business days or within the time requested by the agency to conduct the interview or assess the situation and offer services, when appropriate.

(3) Within two weeks of the contact with the family a written response is provided to the requesting agency.

(4) The WORD document of the interview or assessment and the written response is saved in the Other Workload Request in KIDS in the File Cabinet.

(b) Out-of-state court orders or requests for divorce custody home studies.CWS is not required to honor out-of-state orders or requests for divorce custody home studies.When the Abuse and Neglect Hotline or the district office receives a request, a letter is sent, no later than five business days after receipt of the request, advising Oklahoma Department of Human Services is not obligated to complete the home study and provides a list of resources or individuals in Oklahoma who conduct divorce custody home studies.


Back to Top