Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:2-11-117. Travel authorization

Revised 9-15-21

(a) Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) divisions establish appropriate lines of authority for approving employee and non-employee travel.  • 1

(b) An employee or non-employee, authorized to travel, is responsible for planning so travel expenses are minimized including, but not limited to, sharing rooms and carpooling. 

(c) Pre‑approval is required for out-of-state travel.  • 2

(d) Pre-approval is required when requesting travel expense reimbursement incurred while volunteering for OKDHS-related events. 

(e) An employee or non-employee may be reimbursed, without pre-approval, for actual and necessary travel and lodging expenses under circumstances described in (1) through (4) of this subsection, per Section 500.9 of Title 74 of the Oklahoma Statutes.

(1) Employees or non-employees required to attend hearings or meetings of any congressional committee or subcommittee or of any federal agency, board, or commission on behalf of OKDHS are reimbursed for actual and necessary travel and lodging expenses.

(2) Legal Services (LS) staff, while representing OKDHS, it’s officials, employees, institutions, or hospitals, at any proceeding including depositions, are reimbursed actual and necessary expenses of travel, and lodging.  The LS general counsel and the OKDHS Director must approve the reimbursement request.

(3) OKDHS employees are reimbursed for actual and necessary travel and lodging expenses incurred in the performance of duties for the purpose of escorting and transporting children or adults in the care or custody of OKDHS, as described, for out-of-state:

(A) visitation, care, treatment, and placement of a child receiving Child Welfare services;

(B) treatment for, or placement of, a client receiving Adult Protective Services;

(C) treatment for, or placement of, a resident of a state resource center; or

(D) treatment for, or placement of, an individual with a developmental disability who is living in the community in community residential services.

(4) OKDHS employees and non-employees may be reimbursed for travel that requires crossing a state line when the distance traveled in the other state is 150 miles or less one way, and the trip is deemed in the best interest of the client and OKDHS.

1.   Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) staff authorized to approve travel claims must have a current Form 10CL222E, Authorized Signature Card, on file with Financial Services (FS) prior to issuing an approval.

2.   OKDHS employees and non-employees complete Form 10AD002E, Request for Out-of-State Travel Authorization, and submit with request for reimbursement.