Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:10-10-1. Deprivation of parental support or care by a natural or adoptive parent

Revised 11-1-23

(a) A child is eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) if, in addition to meeting other conditions of eligibility, he or she is deprived of parental support or care of at least one natural or adoptive parent(s).  The deprivation of parental support or care does not apply before the child's birth.  • 1

(1) When there is one parent in the home, deprivation of parental support is based on the:

(A) death of the other parent; or  • 2

(B) continued absence from the home and failure to provide maintenance, physical care, or guidance of the other parent.

(2) When both parents are in the home, deprivation of parental support is based on the:

(A) physical or mental incapacity of at least one of the parents; or  • 3

(B) unemployment of the principal wage earner.

(b) For the purpose of TANF eligibility a parent is defined as the:  • 4

(1) legal father or mother;

(2) legal adoptive father or mother; or  • 5

(3) natural father of a child born out of wedlock who acknowledges paternity or, whose paternity has been determined by court action, or established by documentation, or who is alleged by the mother to be the father of the children.  • 6 

Revised 6-1-09

1. A child(ren) with a solely responsible parent such as a single parent adoption is eligible.

2. Verification of a parent's death is documented in the case record using a:

(1) death certificate;

(2) obituary notice from the newspaper;

(3) funeral program; or

(4) notice pertaining to the deceased.

3. The parent must be willing to accept any feasible plan of physical restoration, training, or social services in connection with an employability plan.

4. A child(ren) whose family does not fall within one of these categories is not eligible regardless of financial need.

5. To be legal adoptive parents, the final court decree must have been issued.

6Documentation for the establishment of paternity can include a birth certificate or a paternity affidavit.

Back to Top