Skip to main content

Library: Policy

340:10-1-5. Non-assistance programs

Issued 9-10-20

(a) Non-assistance programs. Programs that do not constitute assistance programs, per Section 260.31(b) of Title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations may be available to Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) recipients and other eligible Oklahoma families with minor child(ren) within a specified degree of relationship, per Oklahoma Administrative Code (OAC) 340:10-9-1.When eligibility for a program is based on the family's income, the maximum income level is specified, per (b) of this Section.Programs may vary due to geographic location and funding availability.Non-assistance programs may include:

(1) non-recurring short-term (NRST) benefits that:

(A) are designed to deal with a specific crisis situation or episode of need;

(B) are not intended to meet recurrent or ongoing needs; and

(C) do not extend beyond four months;

(2) payments to employers or third parties to help cover the cost of employee wages, benefits, supervision, or training;

(3) supportive services, such as child care or transportation, provided to families who are employed;

(4) refundable earned income tax credits;

(5) contributions to, and distributions from Individual Development Accounts;

(6) services that do not provide basic income support, such as:

(A) counseling;

(B) case management;

(C) peer support;

(D) child care information and referral;

(E) transitional services;

(F) job retention;

(G) job advancement; and

(H) other employment-related services; and

(7) transportation benefits provided under a Job Access or Reverse Commute project, per Section 404(k) of the Social Security Act to a person who is not otherwise receiving assistance.

(b) Program types.Program types that may be available in Oklahoma are described in (1) through (5) of this subsection.

(1) Family Violence Emergency Assistance (FVEA).FVEA is intended to stabilize low-income families while addressing family violence issues and homelessness.FVEA provides one-time assistance up to $3,000 for rent, utilities, deposits, and moving expenses to allow domestic violence victims to transition to safe and stable housing.FVEA may only be provided once in the applicant's lifetime.To qualify for the program, the applicant must:

(A) submit an application and be interviewed, per OAC 340:65-3-1.FVEA applications cannot be submitted online;

(B) be residing in a shelter operated by a domestic violence/sexual assault program certified by the Oklahoma Office of the Attorney General due to a domestic violence situation;

(C) have a minor child(ren) within the specified degree of relationship, per OAC 340:10-9-1, living with him or her;

(D) have income at or below 300 percent of federal poverty guidelines, per Appendix C-1, Maximum Income, Resource, and Payment Standards, Schedule XVIII;

(E) have resources at or below the maximum standard, per OKDHS Appendix C-1, Schedule XVIII.Refer to OAC 340:10-3-4 through 340:10-3-5 for countable resource information;

(F) meet citizenship and alienage requirements, per OAC 340:10-15-1;

(G) provide a Social Security number (SSN) or proof of a pending SSN application for every assistance unit member, per OAC 340:10-12-1;

(H) have explored and exhausted all other means of outside funding prior to utilizing FVPA;

(I) provide documentation that he or she has or is pursuing a victim protective order against the perpetrator when it is safe to do so.When it is not safe to do so, provide a statement from the domestic violence counselor working with the family about the safety issues; and

(J) agree to attend a required Within My Reach Prevention and Relationship Education Program (PREP) workshop or comparable approved curriculum after approval.

(2) Family Strengthening Program (FSP).FSP includes programs that are not means-tested, such as but not limited to:  1

(A) relationship education;

(B) parenting classes;

(C) financial literacy; and

(D) an intensive service program for child safety, per OAC 340:10-19-9;

(3) Home-based services.Home-based services may be provided to families by Oklahoma Human Services (OKDHS) Child Welfare Services or the Office of Juvenile Affairs when immediate action is required to avoid placement of a child in an out-of-home placement or to assist in reuniting a child with his or her family when in an out-of-home placement, per OAC 340:10-19-9.Families' incomes may not exceed 300 percent of federal poverty guidelines, per OKDHS Appendix C-1, Schedule XVIII.

(4) Subsidized Employment Program (SEP) for non-TANF participants.When funding is available, SEP placements may be made available, per OAC 340:10-2-4(c)(1) to non-TANF participants who:

(A) are unemployed;

(B) reside in a county authorized by Adult and Family Services (AFS) TANF Unit staff for expanded SEP eligibility;   2 and

(C) have a biological child receiving TANF, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Child Care Subsidy, or SoonerCare (Medicaid) benefits.  3

(5) National or state emergency. When a national or state emergency is declared by the President of United States or Governor of the State of Oklahoma that causes a hardship to TANF recipients and non-recipient families, refer to OAC 340:10-23-1 for information regarding NRST benefits and economic impact payments.


Issued 9-10-20

1.Family strengthening programs include, but are not limited to, services, such as:

(1) Family expectations;

(2) Motherwise;

(3) Wellspring Retreats; and

(4) Fatherhood Initiative.

2.(a) The list of counties currently authorized to extend Subsidized Employment Program (SEP) eligibility to non-Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) participants is available on the Adult and Family Services (AFS) Job Functions Infonet page.

(b) Due to limited funding, SEP contracts require AFS TANF Unit staff approval before sending the person for an interview or completing Form 08TW017E, Subsidized Employment Program (SEP) Contract, with an employer.To request approval the worker emails and includes the non-TANF participant's name, the child's name and case number, a contact number, and employer contact information.

(c) When approved, AFS TANF Unit staff emails county staff with a SEP authorization number.

3.Non-TANF participants may include the non-custodial parent of a child receiving one of the core AFS-administered benefits when benefit receipt can be verified without breaching the custodial parent's confidentiality.The non-custodial parent is not required to apply for SEP.The TANF Work authorization is placed on the child's case number.

Back to Top