Vaccine Resources for Healthcare Professionals
Emergency Protocols: Clinics should have a protocol in place for anaphyaxis emergencies.
- Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Children & Teens (IAC website)
- Medical Management of Vaccine Reactions in Adult Patients (IAC website)
Vaccine Safety - Healthcare Personnel Responsibilities
- Store vaccines properly.
- Distribute vaccine information statements to parents or vaccine recipients prior to administration of each dose of vaccine and answer all questions.
- Screen patients for and observe valid precautions and contraindications.
- Administer vaccines correctly including proper dose, route, site, and needle size.
- Follow current recommended immunization schedules for children, adolescents, and adults, including proper timing and spacing of vaccine doses.
- Manage vaccine side effects using your best clinical judgement.
- Have procedures in place and be prepared for emergency care of a person who experiences an anaphylactic reaction.
- Report suspected side effects to the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) (VAERS website).
- Follow federal requirements for recording vaccine administered.