Transfer a Provisional or Graduated License from Another State (Over the Age of 16)
A person over 15 1/2 and under 18 who, at the time of application, is licensed by one of the (50) states, District of Columbia or Canadian province and is operating under a valid full license, can apply to transfer the license to Oklahoma. The applicant must still meet the Oklahoma requirements for age and restrictions.
Without an Approved Oklahoma Driver Education Completion Certificate:
- Under the age of 16 - Not Eligible
- Between age 16 and 16 1/2 - Can apply for a Learners Permit
- Between age 16 1/2 and 18 - Can apply for a Intermediate License
With an Approved Oklahoma Driver Education Completion Certificate:
- Under the age of 15 1/2 - Not Eligible
- Between age 15 1/2 and 16 - Can apply for a Learners Permit
- Between age 16 and 18 - Can apply for a Intermediate License
A person over the age of 16 who, at the time of application, is licensed by one of the (50) states, District of Columbia or Canadian province and is operating under a valid intermediate license, or equivalent, can apply to transfer the intermediate license to Oklahoma. The intermediate license in Oklahoma must be held for a minimum of 12 months. The applicant can receive credit for the time they have held the out-of-state license.
If the applicant is over the age of 16 1/2 and has held the out-of-state intermediate license for over 12 months or if they have turned 18, they will be issued a full unrestricted license.
The applicant must bring in the following:
- Primary ID — usually a state-certified birth certificate. For a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents, click here.
- Secondary ID — usually a Social Security card. For a complete list of acceptable secondary identification documents, click here.
- Social Security Number.
- You must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma School, click here for a list of alternate documents.
- You must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.
- Present the Out-of-State Intermediate License.
- Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc:
These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »
Once the Examiner has accepted the documents and processed the applicant a Vision test will be given. If you pass the vision test a form will be issued to the applicant. The applicant will take this form along with their identification documents and out-of-state license to a tag agency. There they will pay the fee and the license will be printed.