Skip to main content

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is extending the REAL ID full enforcement date by 19 months, from October 1, 2021 to May 3, 2023, due to circumstances resulting from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Applying for a Motorcycle Endorsement

A motorcycle is defined as

  1. A seat or saddle for the use of each rider
  2. Not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding a tractor,
  3. A combustion engine with a piston displacement of one hundred fifty cubic centimeters or greater

A Motor-driven cycle is any motor vehicle having:

  1. If the power source is a combustion engine, has a piston displacement of greater than thirty-five cubic centimeters but less than one hundred fifty centimeters regardless of the number of chambers in the power source
  2. If the power source is electric, has a power output of greater than one thousand watts
  3. A seat or saddle for the use of each rider
  4. Not more than three wheels in contact with the ground

In Oklahoma to be licensed to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, you have to have an "M" endorsement on your Oklahoma Driver License. To have the endorsement added you must appear before a Driver License Examiner, present the required documentation and take a vision, written and drive test exam. If you have completed a "Motorcycle Safety Foundation" course, the written and drive test will be waived.

After passing the written exam, the applicant can request a Motorcycle Learner Permit. If you get the permit, you must hold it for a minimum of 30 days. During this time you may operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle while accompanied by and receiving instruction from any person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and who is properly licensed pursuant to the laws of this state to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, and who has visual contact with the restricted licensee.

The applicant must bring in the following:
  1. Primary ID — usually a state-certified birth certificate. For a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents, click here.
  2. Social Security Number.
  3. Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc: These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »
  4. If you have completed a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, bring in the completion card in order to have the skills (drive) test and the written test waived.
  5. Bring valid proof of motorcycle liability insurance if you are taking the driving test. (Security Verification Form)
  6. If your motorcycle does not have a sufficient windshield, you will have to wear goggles that meet ANSI Z87.1 standards or have a face shield. Click here to see requirements.
Last Modified on Oct 26, 2020
Back to Top