Proper vaccine administration is critical to ensure that vaccination is safe and effective. CDC recommends that all healthcare personnel who administer vaccines receive comprehensive, competency-based training on vaccine administration and policies and procedures BEFORE administering vaccines.
This module provides a step-by-step guide on proper vaccine administration.
- Review Immunization History
- Assess for Needed Immunizations
- Screen for Contraindications and Precautions
- Educate the Parent or Patient
- Prepare the Vaccine (s)
- Administer the Vaccine(s), Document the Vaccination(s)
- Guidance for Planning Vaccination Clinics
- CDC Off Site Vaccination Clinic Checklist
This is a quick references for COVID-19 vaccinators to give people who want more information.
- Talking to your patients about COVID-19 Vaccine
- Answering vaccine recipient questions
- Myths and facts about COVID-19 Vaccine
- Benefits of getting the COVID-19 Vaccine
- Possible side effects of after getting COVID-19 Vaccine
Administering any medication, including vaccines, has the potential to cause an adverse reaction. This document describes steps to take if an adverse reaction occurs following vaccination.
Other resources on vaccine reactions and adverse events: