Standards, Credentials & Assessments
- Assessments and Testing - Resources and information from the CareerTech Testing Center division.
- Credentials Book - A listing of Industry-Valued Credentials approved by the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education that may be used in Career and Technology Education programs to help provide the training and skills necessary for students to be successful in the workplace.
- 60 Formative Assessment Strategies - Assessment and instruction go hand in hand in a classroom that focuses on the student. Teachers need to use a variety of different strategies to assess student readiness for a particular unit of study and to plan their instruction around the needs the students demonstrate. Ongoing assessment of student learning is an important part of the planning process. There are three main types of assessment: pre-assessment, formative assessment, and summative assessment. This booklet focuses on strategies that teachers can use to formatively assess their students.
Links to Other Resources
The positions or viewpoints in the resources collected here reflect their authors and source organizations. Unless published by the Resource Center for CareerTech Advancement, they do not represent the Resource Center for CareerTech Advancement, the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education, or any employee of the state agency. No endorsement of organizations or viewpoints is implied by inclusion in this collection or on this web page.
Resources in many topics are also available on our Resource Profiles page.
- Occupational licensing and job mobility in the United States - This paper studies the association between occupational licensing and job hire and job separation rates along with earnings of job stayers and job-to-job movers.
- Re-Balancing Formative Assessment: Placing Formative Assessment at the Heart of Learning and Accountability - In response to high-stakes testing and top-down accountability, McREL’s Bryan Goodwin and co-authors from Measured Progress propose in this 2015 white paper a new, more balanced formula for assessment based on curriculum-embedded performance assessments (CEPAs), which better support the deeper learning expected of students today. They also outline how states can use CEPAs in accountability systems and reduce the emphasis on end-of-year summative assessments.
- Building Workforce Success: Advancing Careers with Multiple Postsecondary Credentials - This January 2018 brief presents findings from an analysis of young adults in the US who successfully moved beyond initial career pathway steps to attain middle-skill jobs. Using the 1997 National Longitudinal Survey of Youth, it examines the postsecondary and employment trajectories of the young adults through their early thirties who earn more than one postsecondary credential, compared to those who don't. It also explores the challenges young adults may face in advancing their schooling and careers beyond a first credential. The brief concludes with implications for career pathways relevant to policymakers and practitioners supporting young adults' advancement toward middle-skill jobs.
- Formative and Summative Assessments Compared - From the Center for Teaching and Learning at Yale University.
- The Narrow Ladder: The Value of Industry Certifications in the Job Market - In this October 2017 report, Burning Glass Technologies uses job posting data to examine the market value of industry certifications. Using its database of more than 700 million historical job postings, they are able to track how often employers explicitly ask for these credentials, and in what context.
- The Impact of Formative Assessment and Learning Intentions On Student Achievement - In this August 2014 report, Hanover Research provides an overview of the research related to formative assessment and learning intentions’ impact on student achievement. The brief begins with an analysis of current research linking formative assessment to academic performance and then moves into a discussion of learning objectives’ impact on student outcomes.
- Measuring 21st Century Competencies: Guidance for Educators - This November 2013 report acquaints teachers, school leaders, and district administrators with the current state of 21st century competencies assessment, provide examples of relevant measures that educators in the field may wish to consider using, and offer some guidance to help educators compare measures and implement an assessment system.
- 60 Tools for Formative Assessment - A list and description from the California Department of Education. Many other tools are also available. April 2012.
- The Definitive K-12 Guide to Formative Assessment - A free, 20-page guide from Mastery Connect.